The annual Jeepers for Vets Food Drive will take place on Saturday, December 1 as the Jeep community pulls together once again to support our local Veterans.
2018 is a special year for two important reasons:
- With the original Veterans’ Food Bank run by the Calgary Poppy Fund closing, there were concerns about the impact to those who used the food bank. However, a new food bank has been established (The Veterans Association Food Bank) which is run by Veterans for Veterans.
- Remembrance Day, which was initially called Armistice Day, was first recognized in Canada on Nov. 11, 1919. That date marked the one-year anniversary of the signing of the armistice that ended the First World War. This year’s Remembrance Day marks the 100th anniversary of that signing of the armistice.
There were terrible numbers of lives lost, bodies and minds damaged and families torn apart during WWI and the following wars, but are still Canadian men and women who continue to serve and sacrifice their lives today. And, while those older Veteran numbers are dwindling now, the number of younger Veterans is also increasing.
We hope you will help us close out 2018 by showing our thanks and recognition though this year’s food drive. The initial meetup location is still being finalized, but the times and destination have been arranged.
Members of the public are also welcome to drop off any donations with the Jeepers before the convoy begins.
Saturday, December 1, 2018
- 9 am – 10:30 am – Jeepers to arrive with their donations, socialize and drool over other Jeeps. Feel free to decorate your Jeeps in a Christmas theme and / or add some Canadian flags.
- 10:30 am – Jeep convoy will leave for the Veterans Association Food Bank.
- 11-ish am – Arrive at the Veterans Association Food Bank to unload donations.
Location 1 – Initial meetup
Real Canadian Superstore (Deerfoot Meadows)
20 Heritage Meadows Way SE
Calgary, AB T2H 3C1
NOTES: A reminder to be respectful of the location we meet up at:
- Stick to the roads — no driving over curbs or grassy areas.
- Park only in the designated area highlighted in green.
- No stunting, speeding, revving or wheel climbing.
Location 2 – Donations drop-off
Veterans Association Food Bank
Unit 14-2916 5th Avenue NE
Calgary, Alberta T2A 6K4
- Parking for unloading is available around the back of the building.
In an effort to stay together (as much as possible) we will take the following route:
- Leaving the Real Canadian Superstore parking lot, exit right and right again onto Heritage Drive, heading east.
- Follow Heritage Drive around past Burnco onto Glenmore Trail.
- Stay right to head north onto Deerfoot Trail.
- Take the right turnoff onto Memorial Drive East.
- Take the left turn onto 28 Street NE.
- As you approach 5 Ave NE, cross 5 Ave NE and take the second right into the parking lot at Let’s Bowl.
- Proceed to the rear of the building, which is where we will unload the donations.
- Google map
- Be sure to obey all traffic lights, signals and laws. Intersections will not be closed for us and there is no need to rush or all arrive in one group.
- Calgary being Calgary, it may be +20ºC and dry or -40ºC and snowy. Please dress and drive appropriately.
- CBs: Channel 10 for the convoy.
- GMRS: Channel 4, privacy code 21 for the convoy.
Participant Liability Disclaimer
By participating in the event, you agree to release Jeepers for Vets, its organizers, volunteers, supporters or sponsors from all liability, relating to financial loss, injuries or death that may occur during travel to and from the activity, during the activity and at the activity locations. You also acknowledge the risks involved in winter driving and participating in a winter event. These include but are not limited to potentially dangerous road conditions, driving in a group, poor visibility, cold temperatures, icy or slippery conditions at the activity. You swear that you are participating voluntarily, and that all risks have been made clear to you through this liability disclaimer. Additionally, you agree that do not have any conditions that will increase your likelihood of experiencing injuries while engaging in this activity. By participating in past, current or future activities, you forfeit all right to bring a suit against Jeepers for Vets, its organizers, volunteers, supporters or sponsors for any reason. You will also make every effort to obey all traffic laws and safety precautions as listed in writing and/or as explained to you verbally. You will ask for clarification when needed.