2017 is a special year, not just because it’s Canada’s 150th anniversary of Confederation, but because it is also the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge. Between April 9 and 12, 1917, members of four divisions of the Canadian Corps successfully took control of the ridge, but at a huge cost: 10,602 casualties. (3,598 killed and 7,004 wounded.) By the end of World War I, more than 66,000 Canadian soldiers lost their lives and over 170,000 were wounded.
While the sacrifices made at Vimy ridge were 100 years ago, there are still Canadian men and women who continue to serve and sacrifice their lives today.
We hope you will help us close out 2017 by helping show our thanks though this year’s food drive.
Sunday, December 10 2017
- 9 am – Any member of the public is welcome to drop off their donations with the Jeepers at The Military Museums.
- 9 am – 10:30 am – Jeepers to arrive with their donations, socialize and drool over other Jeeps. Feel free to decorate your Jeeps in a Christmas theme and / or add some Canadian flags.
- 10:30 am – Jeep convoy will leave for the Veterans’ Food Bank (located at the Calgary Poppy Fund).
- 11-ish am – Arrive at the Veterans’ Food Bank to unload donations. After unloading, you are welcome to meet up at the Chapelhow Legion, which is only a couple of blocks away and, most importantly, will be warm! The canteen will have food and beverages available.
Location 1 – Initial meetup
The Military Museums
4520 Crowchild Trail SW
Calgary, AB T2T 5J4
- Parking is available in two sections of the parking lot. See the highlighted areas in green below.
- Avoid parking in the areas highlighted in red to ensure parking is available for museum visitors.
Location 2 – Donations drop-off
Veterans’ Food Bank (Calgary Poppy Fund)
4539 6 Street NE
Calgary, Alberta T2E 3Z6
- Donations will be dropped off directly at the food bank warehouse, which is on the north side of the building.
- Parking for unloading is available on the north and east side of the building. (Please respect any no-parking signs for other tenants of the building.)
Location 3 – Legion for warming up
Chapelhow Legion (Branch #284)
606 38 Ave NE
Calgary, AB T2E 8J9
- Please proceed to the south parking lot where all the Jeeps can park.
- Entrance to the Legion is from the west side.
- Please remember to remove all headwear.
In an effort to stay together (as much as possible) we will take the following route:
- Leave The Military Museums and take Crowchild Trail north to Memorial Drive east.
- Go east on Memorial Drive to Edmonton Trail.
- Go north on Edmonton Trail to 32nd Ave NE.
- Go east on 32nd Ave to 6th Street NE.
- Go north on 6th Street NE to the Veterans’ Food Bank (Calgary Poppy Fund) which will be on your left.
- After unloading, go back south on 6th Street to 32nd Ave NE.
- Go west on 32nd Ave NE to Edmonton Trail.
- Go south on Edmonton Trail to 38 Ave NE.
- Go east on 38 Ave into the culdesac, and into the Legion parking lot.
- Google map directions
- Be sure to obey all traffic lights, signals and laws. Intersections will not be closed for us and there is no need to rush or all arrive in one group.
- Calgary being Calgary, it may be +20ºC and dry or -40ºC and snowy. Please dress and drive appropriately.
- If you have a CB in your Jeep, use channel 10 for the convoy.
Participant Liability Disclaimer
By participating in the event, you agree to release Jeepers for Vets, its organizers, volunteers, supporters or sponsors from all liability, relating to financial loss, injuries or death that may occur during travel to and from the activity, during the activity and at the activity locations. You also acknowledge the risks involved in winter driving and participating in a winter event. These include but are not limited to potentially dangerous road conditions, driving in a group, poor visibility, cold temperatures, icy or slippery conditions at the activity. You swear that you are participating voluntarily, and that all risks have been made clear to you through this liability disclaimer. Additionally, you agree that do not have any conditions that will increase your likelihood of experiencing injuries while engaging in this activity. By participating in past, current or future activities, you forfeit all right to bring a suit against Jeepers for Vets, its organizers, volunteers, supporters or sponsors for any reason. You will also make every effort to obey all traffic laws and safety precautions as listed in writing and/or as explained to you verbally. You will ask for clarification when needed.