Last year’s event was a great success with more than 30 Jeepers participating and lots of donations collected.
Once again, Calgary and area residents are invited to collect and bring donations of non-perishable foods and toiletries for the 2016 Calgary Jeepers for Vets Food Drive.
This year is proving to be especially difficult for the Veterans’ Food Bank. Overall donations are down due to the economy, and a growing number of younger veterans are returning home to struggle with PTSD and a lack of employment opportunities in the oilpatch.
December 10, 2016
- 9 am – Any member of the public is welcome to drop off their donations with the Jeepers at The Military Museums.
- 9 am – 10 am – Jeepers to arrive with their donations, socialize and show off or drool over other Jeeps.
- 10 am – Jeepers to start loading their Jeeps with any donations the general public has dropped off.
- 10:30 am – Jeep convoy will leave for the Veterans’ Food Bank (located at the Calgary Poppy Fund).
- 11-ish am – Arrive at the Veterans’ Food Bank to unload donations. After unloading, depart for Chapelhow Legion. The Legion is graciously providing us with some hot beef stew and coffee. You are also welcome to purchase any different items from the canteen menu.
Location 1 – Initial meetup
- Please meet up in the south end of the parking lot area, highlighted in green below.
- Avoid parking in the area highlighted in red to ensure parking is available for museum visitors.
- The new Flanders Ave overpass is now open, so access to the Military Museums from Crowchild Trail may be different than what you’re used to, especially coming in from the north.
Location 2 – Donations drop-off
Veterans’ Food Bank (Calgary Poppy Fund)
4539 6 Street NE
Calgary, Alberta T2E 3Z6
- Donations will be dropped off directly at the food bank warehouse, which is on the north side of the building.
- Parking for unloading is available on the north and east side of the building. (Please respect any no-parking signs for other tenants of the building.)
Location 3 – Legion for beef stew / warming up
Chapelhow Legion (Branch #284)
606 38 Ave NE
Calgary, AB T2E 8J9
- Please proceed to the south parking lot where all the Jeeps can park.
- Entrance to the Legion is from the west side. Hot beef stew will be prepared for us in the Mess Hall. (Please remember to remove all headwear.)
This year’s route is longer than previous years, due to the need to change locations.
In an effort to stay together (as much as possible) we will take the following route:
- Leave The Military Museums and take Crowchild Trail north to Memorial Drive east.
- Go east on Memorial Drive to Edmonton Trail.
- Go north on Edmonton Trail to 32nd Ave NE.
- Go east on 32nd Ave to 6th Street NE.
- Go north on 6th Street NE to the Veterans’ Food Bank (Calgary Poppy Fund) which will be on your left.
- After unloading, go south on 6th Street to 32nd Ave NE.
- Go west on 32nd Ave NE to Edmonton Trail.
- Go south on Edmonton Trail to 38 Ave NE.
- Go east on 38 Ave into the culdesac, and into the Legion parking lot.
- Google map directions
- Be sure to obey all traffic lights, signals and laws. Intersections will not be closed for us and there is no need to rush or all arrive in one group.
- Calgary being Calgary, it may be +20ºC and dry or -30ºC and snowy. Please dress and drive appropriately.
- If you have a CB in your Jeep, use channel 10 for the convoy.
By participating in the event, you agree to release Jeepers for Vets, its organizers, volunteers, supporters and sponsors from all liability relating to injuries or death that may occur during travel to and from the activity, during the activity and at the activity locations. By participating in this event, you agree to hold Jeepers for Vets, its organizers, volunteers, supporters and sponsors entirely free from any liability, including financial responsibility for injuries or death incurred, regardless of whether injuries or death are caused by negligence. You also acknowledge the risks involved in winter driving. These include but are not limited to potentially dangerous road conditions, driving in a group, poor visibility, cold temperatures, icy or slippery conditions at the activity. You swear that you are participating voluntarily, and that all risks have been made clear to you. Additionally, you agree that do not have any conditions that will increase your likelihood of experiencing injuries while engaging in this activity. By participating in past, current or future activities, you forfeit all right to bring a suit against Jeepers for Vets, its organizers, volunteers, supporters and sponsors for any reason. You will also make every effort to obey all traffic laws and safety precautions as listed in writing and/or as explained to you verbally. You will ask for clarification when needed.